Saturday, June 9, 2007

Iniquity of the Fathers

I have no idea when this "story" began, only that it begs to be told. I've tried to figure out when it started but it's just not possible and all I am reminded of is a verse in the 20th chapter of Genesis, "...For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me..." The story is full of and is even about "bad", but, like the verse, it does not end there- it flows on,..."and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments." I think of the mercy that God has shown throughout all the time frame of this story and I am awestruck.

There is no way that this story can be told in its' entirety all at once. It's going to take some time, after all, it isn't even over with yet. It is my sincere hope that as you read, you too will come to a place where you simply have to acknowledge the mercy God has shown us. And when that happens, perhaps you will wonder, if He has done all this for us, what might He do for you? Because, you see, according to all the popular teachings and all the statistics, this should have destroyed us.

No comments: